Thursday, September 17, 2020

What Privilege

White Privilege:

Just because I can go into any store I want and not have to worry about some loss prevention guy watching my every move doesn't mean I have 'White Privilege', because if I was black I could go into any store and... well... Let's try this another way.
 
Just because I can go into a store and not have to ask for a key or permission to handle products designed for caucasian complections and hair doesn't mean I have 'White Privilege', because as a black person I could go into that same store and have free reign and access to the products designed for Afro-American... umm... uhh... O.K. Maybe a different example would work better.

Just because I can go into a bank and get a loan pretty much hassle-free doesn't mean I have 'White Privilege', because as a black person with the same set of circumstances that bank would... hmm... Maybe not. How about...

Just because I can go into an elevator and be alone with an old, white lady and she feels no need to clutch her purse and move away from me doesn't mean I have 'White Privilege', because if I was a black guy and I went into that same elevator I wouldn't have to worry about... er... This is harder than I thought. I know...

Just because I can struggle with the lock on a door to a house in an affluent neighborhood that I live in without having someone call the police on me doesn't give me 'White Privilege', because if I were a black person doing the same thing, why nothing would raise suspicion or any... yeah... Suppose...

Just because I, as a white person, could drive an expensive car through an impoverished neighborhood without the fear of being pulled over does not mean I have 'White Privilege', because if I were black I'm sure that nobody would... or would they?

As a white person I can bird-watch in any damn park I want to. No one would bother me. That's not 'White Privilege', because if I were black and engaged in that same activity... oh... that happened?... you sure?... Try again.

Just because I needn't have to worry about being prosecuted unfairly for crimes I may or may not have committed doesn't mean 'White Privilege' applies, because if my skin were black why I am sure that... relatively certain... perhaps...

Just because I never had to worry about nooses or burning crosses doesn't mean I was raised with 'White Privilege', because if I were black I would have been raised... I would have... I...

Just because I can walk down any street in Kenosha carrying a long gun and have the authorities leave me alone does not give me 'White Privilege', because if I were black and wandering the streets with a long gun, or pistol, heading towards a volatile race related protest I bet no one would even care or... Way harder than I thought. Give it another shot.

Just because I never have to leave the house and worry about 'choke-holds' or someone kneeling on my neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds or being shot 7 times in the back or being shot while running away or being shot while jogging or being shot while relaxing in my own house or apartment or being arrested, harassed, bullied, beat-up, disenfranchised with a history of segregation, enslavement and lynching weighing heavily and mightily upon me with the possibility of leaving a grieving family to wonder what happened to their child, and why, and why now, and why again, all based solely on the color of my skin does not give me 'White Privilege'.

The hell it doesn't!!

And if you can't see, as a white person, the 'Privilege' that has been afforded to you because of your skin then you are not simply color-blind, you are just plain blind.

Wake Up!!!

2 comments: